Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Nothin' Much

Me and Lena went exploring in Maebaru yesterday and I took this.

I'm heading off to Nagoya for the long weekend to hook up with Mr. Nicholas Riley and his lady, Michelle. All day my teachers have been telling me to eat the delicacy there, 味噌煮込みうどん, which apparently, from a friend of mine, is known as 'Japanese Soul Food'. Kinda skeptical, but I'm willing to try it. I'm sure Nick is getting ready to throw down, so I'm drinking lots of water to try and prepare the body for the massive amount of alcohol that is going to be consumed. (Not sure if it's a valid strategy or not...and I've been thirsty recently anyways).

This week has been a pretty good one. My kids have tests tomorrow and half of next week, which means I'm pretty much free until next Thursday. It's hard to study Japanese only for Japanese, so I've been reading two Japanese books, well one book, and one manga. It's pretty cool.

This manga is hilarious. You can tell the author actually played ball before. AND(!), how is this...

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar makes an appearance!

And, for a challenge, I'm reading this...Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone!

Here's what a page looks like...luckily, if I don't know a kanji, the hiragana is on the side so I can look it up.

I've learned some pretty cool words too, through this book. For example:
  1. 嗜める (tashinameru) - to reprove, to chide
  2. 急降下 (kyuukouka) - nosedive
  3. 魔法 (mahou) - magic, sorcery
So, I'll try and get some pictures up from Nagoya after the weekend. One more day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"手をすべった!"

FIRST time ever I just lost it and bust out laughing from a freaking comic book...but man that whole scene was hilarious...